Who I am

My photo
This is my journey to add beauty and organization to my home, as well as being the best Wife, Mom, Woman & Christian that I can be. Join me, you'll feel better about your own life. LOL!

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Boy's Room tranformation

When Dom was born, I made a cute Noah's Ark theme in his room. Then as he grew, I just painted the whole thing blue. Then we moved to our interim home, where we were not allowed to paint because everyone thought that we would just be there a short time. So the kids lived in rooms that were better suited to elderly folks. LOL When we Finally got the new that were would be able to move into our forever house, we also learned that the rooms that would be the kids rooms needed to be painted as the previous owners had used those rooms for storage. We let the kids decide what they wanted their rooms to be and went from there. G wanted a princess room so hers is pink, but not totally completed. D wanted red because that is his fav color but I anted something a little calmer as he already doesn't want to go to sleep. I settled on Camo. My sister offered to by the paint in lieu of Christmas gifts for us this year and we happily accepted. She & I went to Home Depot only because they carry the Disney color line, and where better to get pink for a princess room. DSis and I wandered around not having any idea about how to pick out colors for camo. This great guy Greg came up to us and asked us if we needed help and we poured out our needs. He was AWESOME!!!! There is a spray paint line that carries "camo" colors. He ran over and got those for us and then matched those colors to wall paint. He explained that we wanted the flat paint and went and got it for us and got it all mixed.
Here is the before. ( the owners left this huge desk in the room)

I painted the whole room the lightest color and then taped off the room so that the camo was on the bottom of the wall. I used the bottom of the room's windows as a guide. Then I used a pen and drew some shapes. As I drew I labeled the shapes as to what color they would be so when I had the paint out I wouldn't have to think to much. To outline each shape I used a small craft paint brush and then filled in with a 1" foam brush. I just did 1 color at a time so that they didn't run together. Each color took 2 coats to cover well, so I scooted around that room on my booty 6 times. On hard wood.
Here is the after:

I searched the Internet for weeks before I got up the nerve to do this. And it was so much easier that you would think.

I think that at some point I would like to put up a chair rail so the transition looks better. And if you notice in the first after picture, the plate covers in that room were white. And they just stuck right out. So I went to Hobby Lobby and got some camo scrap paper and Mod-Podged that on to it. I will have to show you those in another post as I don't have any pic's on the computer.
The colors used were:
Behr Twig Basket (Main wall color)
Behr Beluga (black)
Behr Evergreen
Behr Stone hearth.
I needed a gallon for the main room and got a quart of each of the others and still have plenty left over for other projects.

Linked to Met Monday


  1. The camo turned out great! Dom must be thrilled : ) It sure doesn't look easy.
    Congratulations to starting a new blog.
    I'm honored that you spend time checking NaM out when you should be shining your sink...LOL

  2. Cool room. I don't think I would have the nerve to try it:) One time my daughter insisted on having 2 walls of her room dark purple and 2 walls light purple. She loved it but I never could get used to it - lol